Tuesday 11 April 2017

Small Change, Big Difference: Cassius' New Nut

Cassius is a lucky boy: brand new nut and fresh clean strings:

Shiny new strings; gleaming new nut
Coffee and chocolate
colour scheme
Since having been fitted with a bone nut, and now rid of the factory plastic one, the improvement in Cassius' performance is hard to overstate. Previously, his tuning had been intensely unreliable and would degrade into all kinds of hideous sounds half way through the most pedestrian of songs. 

I could not work out what the problem was. I had read on online forums that a tight nut sometimes posed difficulties, and that one solution was to lubricate the grooves with 2B pencil graphite. I pencilled in the groves, and did notice an improvement in the performance but the problems were not entirely eliminated. 

Cheap and nasty plastic nut
I got it into my head that the tuners were knackered, and spent some time looking up upgrades online, and fixated on the idea that locking tuners would be answer to my prayers, but after some more research, and a few deep intakes of breath when I saw how much they cost, the advice that I kept finding over and over again was that the tuners were not the problem.

So, I looked up DIY vids on YouTube to work out how to replace a nut. It appeared surprisingly easy, and the materials were very cheap, so I ordered a bone nut, having seen comparison videos online and marking the extent of the difference, and other materials for the fitting of it. I decided that if it made no difference, it was at least a cheaper gamble than replacing the tuners. 

In the event, the only difficulty arose from the new nut's best quality: it was so hard that I spent a very long time of hard labour sanding it down to the correct size.

Deep and dark
Once fitted, the difference was immediately clear, and I cursed myself for not having done the job years earlier. But how was I to know? Before Edgar arrived, when Cassius was my only guitar, I would not have dared do any significant work on him for fear of screwing it up. The strings feel much more firmly rooted: less slack than before, more responsive somehow. I can't hear much difference in the tone, though the open strings seem to resonate a bit more, and I fancy the sustain is a little better. But the biggest improvement is in Cassius' performance: I put him through four renditions of Echoes and he de-tuned not one. Not once! Only the B string was slightly flat at the end, probably because of all the bends I do in that song. He has gone from being so unreliable that I was often embarrassed by him in rehearsals, to being about as reliable as Edgar.

This all irritated me slightly. Cassius is a beautiful guitar, a Yamaha Pacifica Pac412V (now quite rare, having been discontinued) with a lovely chocolate and coffee colour scheme, a deep and dark wood overlay on an alder body, a gorgeous rosewood fretboard with mother of pearl inlays and an effective two-pin floating vibrato bridge. I cannot understand how Yamaha, who are market challengers, not dominators, would spoil such a wonderful guitar with such a shoddy piece of essential hardware. Fender or Gibson could get away with it, for they really are dominant and can rely upon their brand names more.

It matters not anymore. In summary: tuning problems are likeliest to be in the nut; they are surprisingly cheap and easy to replace; use bone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment